Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Build Tour 2015

I attended the Build Tour 2015 (not the same as the main Build Event), and I got acquianted with some of the new development technologies that Microsoft is introducing.

Here's some bulletpoints (not comprehensive):


  • Everything can be built using the new Universal App Template.  Windows Apps, Windows Phone Apps, Hololens Apps, XBox Apps, etc.
  • Universal Apps will be compatible with the new Hololens
  • The new Internet Explorer is Windows Edge, also known as Project Spartan.
  • There will be an HTTP2 protocol
  • Become an insider for Windows 10 updates by registering at insider.windows.com
  • Check out some of the new windows 10 development information at dev.windows.com
  • Tons of APIs at Machine Learning Gallery
  • There was a presentation on BabylonJS, which implements WebGL for 3d modeling in the browser.

I'm starting to dig into Windows 10 now in a Virtual Guest Environment.  the updated start menu is much better than windows 8.  My first voice command to Cortana was "Who is Master Chief" and she opened up Project Spartan.  I thought it was an inside joke at first, but she just took me to a bing search with my question.

The voice stuff is cool and I might try to play around with the API sometime later.

The Hololens API isn't available yet, but Microsoft recommends signing up for the insider program and getting familiar with Universal Apps in the meantime to prepare for hololens.

No comments:

Post a Comment